Tuesday, 24 January 2012

THE BATTLE OF QUEBEC - Orko Oyon


THE BATTLE OF QUEBEC (1754-1763)
By: Orko oyon 7b

                I am sorry for not writing back as soon as we started, but the troops and I have been busy. I am writing to all of my British friends and family back home, knowing that I may not be coming back to personally tell them what I have experienced. I’d like to start off by saying I miss the farm, yet I know I cannot go home without putting up a fight with my British troops. I have heard also, that Montcalm does not admire Canadians, yet Vaudreuil wants a Canadian officer.
            Not much has happened to us today, thankfully. The troops and I have been informed about what is going on, though.
            We have been informed that the reason that we are not fighting yet is because Governor Vaudreuil and General Montcalm were not getting along. That is all that we have been informed, yet I think it is because Governor Vaudreuil and General Montcalm want to fight differently, and my fellow troops think that, too.
            I have met a new friend, Peter Smith. He is a farmer, just like us, and Peter and I seem to have a lot of things in common. I can see that Peter and I are going to be very good friends very soon.
            Well, I have to go now. It seems like there is another important piece of information about to be told soon. All is well, so far. Hopefully, that won’t change.

                                                                                                George Macdonald


            Hello again. Apparently, that news was important, very important.
British Minister Pitt has an idea to figure out how to attack the French. He said that we should send an armada to attack Fort Louisbourg, while we also attack Quebec by land from the American Colonies. It is very crucial that we win Fort Louisbourg so that we can easily get into Canada. Louisbourg is a key part to our war.
Now, we have to attack Quebec! I shall write back soon, if I come out of this part of the war alive.

                                                                                    George Macdonald


Nothing so far has happened at my end, yet we have been informed again, but the news is horrible, and our General, James Wolfe, probably is devastated to hear the news.
Apparently, General Montcalm did not send troops to Fort Louisbourg and the French had still won the war there. I think that Montcalm did not send any troops because he was dealing with the battles he had in Ohio Valley. I hear he was outnumbered around 4-1. Montcalm also won his battle because he seemed to use his musket severely, and he had a good vantage point. Yet, I think the French might not have enough troops to last the war, so that is a good sign.
Also, another group was supposed to attack the Beauport Shore. Again, the odds were not in our favor. The French had dug trenches at Beauport Shore, and killed all of our men in that group. This battle was a loss, too.
I think the French has resisted all of our attacks because Wolfe could not make up his mind, our extremely poor attack on Beauport, and because the fort at Quebec is placed on a steep rock face, and very well armed.
Sadly, we have lost a lot of things. This gives me a ton of fear. It has made me think that the result may be the same for our group.
Thankfully, my new best friend, Peter, is in my group, and he is not harmed or wounded. I hope we both survive. I wish I could write more, yet I have a feeling that my big day is coming up tomorrow. I should get some rest. I will write again soon.

                                                                                                George Macdonald


September 13, 1759

            I have experienced the battle of my life this morning and I came out alive. Wolfe had ordered us to this morning to climb a steep rock face. I was very uneasy about this, yet I was not the boss, so we climbed. I was uneasy because the French could easily fire at us from above and we would not be able to be ready for it.
            After climbing the steep goat path, we reached ended up on an abandoned farmer’s field. Wolfe had placed us between two French armies. If they attacked us from both sides, we would be in the middle of a big problem.
            Wolfe seemed to make some last minute changes to how we were going to fight the French. Wolfe put us in 2 separate lines instead of 3, and our formation was about a mile wide, I’m guessing. This made us look larger and would scare the French. Also, because we had a lot of musket balls I’m guessing, Wolfe ordered us to put two musket balls in our muskets, so we could try and get twice the damage.
            By around 9:30, we fired our cannons at the French while they were trying to form. This helped them get more confused and they could not get formed. I’m guessing that Montcalm did not wait for reinforcements.
            After a couple minutes, I heard someone yell “FIRE!” and then multiple gun shots. I assume that this was the French, yet we were out of range, thankfully. The French had fired too early.
             I was in the back line, and it hadn’t been after the French fired early that I had noticed the man in front of me. It was Peter, in the front row, most likely to get hit by the musket balls.
            At around 10:00, the French were about 40 yards away from us and they took their stance. We did not even budge. I waited for what seemed like hours until I heard that one word being yelled out: FIRE!!!
            The gunshots were extremely loud. There were shots after shots. After every gunshot, it seemed like one man had fallen to the ground. It was about 4 seconds into the shooting that I felt a body fall on me. I held out my hands to set it down on the ground, and I then remember who had been in front of me. I looked down, and I saw my best friend, eyes staring at me blankly, with a musket ball in his forehead. I immediately stepped up, not wanting to look at the horrible sight. I thought about all of the good times that we had together while we were in this war. He was the only one who seemed like family here to me. I stood still in my spot, trying to keep the terrified and sad emotions inside.
             Eventually, the French stopped firing. I was lucky to still be standing. I could hear the French reloading through the smoke. Wolfe ordered us to take our positions and then he said the command of his life: FIRE!!!
            We all fired our muskets and pretty much all of the French seemed to hit the ground. The two musket balls seemed to do the trick. After we were done firing, the British highlanders, including me, took out our swords, and we charged at the French. The French started to retreat, and we got far until the Canadians took cover for them so they could retreat. We had stopped running, and I had a feeling that we had won this part of the battle.
            Apparently, there were 1300 deaths on those plains. I feel bad for all of them, British or French, because they all did not deserve to die like this.
            Wolfe got a musket ball to the chest, he isn’t dead, yet he might not be able to hold on for much longer. Montcalm caught a musket ball under his rib after he was engulfed by retreating troops. He was buried in a hole made by a cannonball.
            I have had one of the longest days of my life, so I think I should get some sleep. I’ll give you more information on this battle tomorrow. Hopefully, I will stay lucky.

                                                `                                              George Macdonald


September 14, 1759

            This morning, the British have gotten the news that we have waited for a long time. Governor Vaudreuil had ordered the French army to abandon Beauport Shore and Quebec and that we had won Canada. Wolfe only lived a few moments to hear that we had won the battle. He had been happy, and he had finished the job he was supposed to do.
            The British troops and I have figured out why we had won this battle of Quebec. First of all, France did not send enough troops to fight us. Second, the Canadian and French were probably tired from the siege, and they were probably short on musket balls and food. And lastly, Montcalm probably made poor decisions on the day of the battle.
            The troops and I have done our job here in Quebec. I am looking forward to coming home soon, with this journal in my hand. This is my last entry. I’ll be back on the farm soon!

                                                                                                                            George Macdonald

Orko Oyon
Cambridge, ON Canada
2012 May 24
           

No comments:

Post a Comment